Field Trip News & SIS Coming to Room 216

Dear Parents/Guardians,

I have just received a printout from the main office, I am missing 8 field trip forms. Your child cannot attend the trip without the proper permission forms. Please check your email for the form, it was sent out a week ago. It is all done by an electronic link now, no more paper copies.

Also, I have 6 parents who would like to volunteer. Thanks SO much for your offer. Unfortunately, I can only take 4. Those parents have already been contacted and those parents will be responsible for supervising a small group of children.

ALSO …

I am excited to announce that Scientists in School will be visiting our classroom on Tuesday, May 7th. The ‘field trip that comes to us’ will be presenting a 90-minute session on soil and plants. This interactive and hands-on presentation will complement your child’s learning for our upcoming science units on Soils in the Environment and Growth and Changes in Plants.

Scientists in School was founded on the principle that students learn best when they get to be the scientists – doing science instead of just reading or hearing about science. The name Scientists in School does not refer to the science experts who are brought into the classroom, but rather, to the students themselves. During Scientists in School workshops, your child becomes a scientist in school.

The workshop the class will be participating in is Get the Dirt on Plants! In this workshop, the students will dig into the exciting and connected world of soil and plants. They will explore the importance of soil by investigating soil layers and experimenting with water retention. They will also dissect a seed, learn about seed dispersal, and examine plant growth up close!

It should be a wonderful learning opportunity for the students! I will share many photos.

Mrs. Lewis