About me …

Kelly Lewis was born and raised on a beef farm in Russell ON, with her mother, father and younger brother. Here the family raised Fullblood Simmental Cattle, while both of her parents worked at the NRC – National Research Council of Canada. On the farm, she learned a great deal about agriculture and giving back to the community.  As a member of the Junior Farmers, the 4-H Club, and the Young Canadian Simmental Association she learned quickly what it meant to be a part of a team and to be focused on an interest.

Since knee-high to a grasshopper, she always aspired to be a teacher. At the early age of 6, she sat upon her Grandfathers lap, looked him square in his kind, blue eyes, and told him straight up that someday she would be a teacher. Determined, she would do just that!

After a successful high school career at Osgoode Township High School, she was off to Carleton University for an Honours Degree in Sociology with a minor in English Literature. With a love for learning and working with others, Kelly then followed her personal learning path to the University of Ottawa for a Bachelor of Education.

Today, in her seventeenth year of teaching, Kelly continues to enhance her love of learning. With additional qualifications in Special Education, Reading and having just completed a Specialist program in Physical Education from the University of Ottawa, and Special education Specialist from Queens University this summer, she plans to continue taking additional qualification courses to widen her wealth of knowledge. Last summer she was invited by the Board to deliver a workshop to teachers regarding Language and Media Literacy.

In school, Kelly plays an active, lead role as the Primary team leader as well as sits on the Wellness Team, WITS, and LEADS planning committees. She also founded, introduced, and implemented the Peer Tutoring Program at WEJ which will now be in its 5th successful year.

Outside of school she golfs weekly in a ladies league and enjoys working out at the gym.

Nine years ago, Kelly and her husband Brady gave birth to a sweet little girl named Ally. She is the light of their life. Besides spending as much time as possible with her family, walking her 3lb POMCHI “Khloe” and Purebred Teacup Chihuahua “Roxy”, reading, photography, cooking and country music are other keen interests of hers.

To Kelly, education is best represented as the set of organized activities and objectives which transmit skills, knowledge and values.  She strongly insists that education is a vital part of our social existence.  She believes that schooling of any sort and at any age, helps us form our personalities as well as our life choices and chances.  Education to her, is essentially something that can never lose its value. With all of this said and true, it encourages her to be the very best teacher that she can possibly be … everyday.

Five Fast Facts About Ms. Lewis

1. She has been at WEJ for 17 years, 15 years in Grade 3!

2. Her favourite season is Fall.

3. Her first formal, paying job at the age of 12 was driving the tractor and wagon to take customers out to the fields to pick strawberries at a berry farm.

4. She loves ski-dooing and 4 Wheeling on weekends.

5. She just moved to Carp three years ago!

11 thoughts on “About me …

1. Hi Ms.Lewis! How is teaching a 2/3 class? I doing great! We are learning about Medieval times in FRENCH! It’s going to be a little difficult. Bill and I are getting in touch with email. I might and come to help in class someday!

Annie

2. Are you doing the dance unit with dynamite? I hope you are! I wish I could be in your class every single year!

3. Hi Annie,
    The 2/3 class is fantastic! I hope Bill is finding University exciting, I bet he’s doing really well. You are welcome to help anyday -you are a wonderful student!

4. We 💖💖💖 you Hi Ms.lewis you are woderful teatcher, I Never New that about you do like the university or wej more or the farm